Building strong relationships is the backbone of sales. Whether you’re a corporate sales professional, a business owner or an entrepreneur growing your business, it's not just about closing a deal and moving on to the next one. It's about nurturing those relationships and building long-term reciprocal relationships and partnerships.
Relationship sales is all about creating a sense of trust and understanding with your clients. It's about listening to their needs and concerns and finding solutions that meet their unique challenges. It's also about going beyond just selling a product or service - it's about becoming a trusted advisor and partner who can help guide their business to success.
So, how can you build these long-term relationships and become a successful relationship sales professional? Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Be genuine and authentic. Be open to sharing about yourself both personally and professionally. Your clients want you to know and for you to get to know them beyond business. Show your genuine interest in your clients and their businesses. And be transparent about what you can offer. If your solution isn’t a right fit, that’s okay. Connect them to someone in your network who can serve in the way that your client needs.
2. Communicate regularly: Don't just reach out when you need something. Keep in touch with your clients on a regular basis, whether it's through emails, phone calls, texts, or social media. Be in the know about what’s going on within their industry and organization. Also, be in the know about their personal and philanthropic interests, like coaching their child’s soccer team or being involved in community nonprofits and professional groups.
3. Follow through on your promises. As I learned early on in my career, don’t promise the moon and the stars if you are not sure if you can deliver them. Be realistic and transparent about timing, capabilities, and financial expectations. As they say, “under promise and over deliver”.
4. Be proactive. Figure out a regular cadence and check-in method (virtual chat, phone call, in-person meet-up) that works for your client and you. Schedule it on your calendars in advance. If you’re providing your client with a service, also commit to a regular cadence with your service delivery team to check-in. It’s always best to find out about areas for improvement, business changes or any challenges before they become fire drills.
5. Strive to provide value in all you do for your clients. Whether it's through educational resources, industry insights, inviting them to an event or conference you believe would be of interest to them, or connecting them with a trusted resource in your network. Look for ways to help and support them beyond your product/service offerings.
Relationship sales is a long game. It takes time and effort to build those strong, lasting partnerships. And the rewards are so worth it! Not just for your clients, but for your own personal and professional growth and success.
Keep these tips in mind and focus on building those long-term reciprocal relationships. Your clients will thank you, and your sales career will thrive.
There’s always enough.
Upcoming Opportunities to invest in your relationship sales skills with ambitious and growth-minded professionals:
Virtual Sales Training Cohort
When: Tuesdays 12 pm to 1:15 pm EST via ZOOM, June 13th – August 29th
*Week of July 4th Cohort will meet Wed July 5 at noon EST to 1:15 EST
Time commitment is approximately 90 minutes per week.
Visit our website to see what our cohort members have been saying and enroll for our next cohort: Sales Cohort | Rebecca Bormann Consulting (rbormannconsulting.com) Did you know that training and professional development that maintains or enhances skills you currently use in your role are often tax deductible? Check with your tax consultant.
Connect & Grow Professional Development Workshop Series:
Workshop 3: Connecting the Dots between Marketing and Sales Strategies.
June 22nd 530 to 730 pm at Launch Fishers
Catered appetizers and wine are included.
Join Rebecca & Mariah, CEO and Founder of Behind the Screen Marketing and Boss Babe Network for a conversation where they share how they work together to achieve maximum results with a joint sales and marketing strategy and execution plan.
Events & Community Engagement Initiatives
Social Media Strategy & Best Practices for Corporate & Individual Professionals
Strike a pose! Headshot/Branding Photo included.
Workshop 4: Taking Care of You, so you can take care of your clients!
July 19th 530 to 730 pm at Launch Fishers
Catered appetizers and wine are included.
Join Rebecca and Mira Bell, CEO and Founder of More Life Plus for a discussion on tools to manage stress, stay in an abundance mindset, and how to build a wellness practice into our routine.
Growth and Abundance Mindset
How to keep moving forward despite the daily “NOs” and being ghosted by clients.
Managing stress: practices and techniques you can use anywhere.
How to make time to invest in your overall health and wellness
Visit our website to register for workshops 3 & 4! Grow & Connect Professional Development Workshop Series (rbormannconsulting.com)
Is your organization looking for a partner to revamp your business development and sales strategies?
We partner with CEOs, CROs, VPs of Sales and Marketing and Business Owners to help develop and implement proven sales and outreach strategies aligned with your organizational goals to best reach and serve your ideal clients. (Project-based and Fractional Chief Sales/Revenue Officer models available)
Sales & Business Development Strategy
Sales team training and coaching
Strategic partner to aid in evaluating and interviewing sales professionals to grow your high-performing, passionate, client-first business development, and sales teams.
If you find it valuable to connect to discuss your organization’s sales strategy needs, schedule a 30-minute discovery call with us. We’re always happy to connect and evaluate together if partnering is a good fit. CLICK HERE.